The Lindsay ranch was originally homesteaded by the Scott family in 1868. The barn and relic buildings are the only permanent structures on the refuge.
About seven miles from our house, and in between Golden and Boulder, CO is the Rocky Flats National Wildlife Refuge, formerly a plutonium manufacturing plant. Plutonium triggers were made here for forty years, followed by a cleanup from 1990 to 2002. Today, all that remains is a landfill in the center of the refuge that’s surrounded by wild prairie backed by the vertical slabs of the Flatirons. The USFWS doesn’t have funding to open the refuge to the general public, but it plays an important role as a refuge for wildlife in the foothills/prairie interface along the Front Range. The Lindsay family bought the ranch from the Scott’s in 1941; and the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission purchased the land in 1951.